Last Updated: 30 Sep 2010
Technical Support Engineer Job Description
NOTE: This is a sample job description for a technical support engineer. You are welcome to copy it for your own use, but you should change it to suit your needs. You probably don't need somebody who has all of these capabilities, and you probably want to put in great info about your own organization.
Technical Support Engineer
ACME Corp is a leading maker of widgets, and was recently recognized by Big Deal Magazine as one of the top ten widget makers to watch.
We are looking for a technical support engineer who will help support our customer base, both directly and indirectly.
- Helping customers solve technical issues with our widgets.
- Answering questions from customers and prospective customers about the features and capabilities of our widgets.
- Developing customer-facing documentation for our website on an as-needed basis.
- Communicating customer needs and wishes to our development and engineering staff.
Work is done primarily via email, with some phone contact.
- Excellent understanding of the technical fundamentals of the Internet. You should have a solid knowledge of internet protocols such as SSH, FTP, SFTP & HTTP, as well as the ability to use diagnostic tools such as traceroute, ping, and dig.
- Strong command line Linux skills. You should have setup and run your own Linux servers before.
- Excellent Windows, Mac & Linux troubleshooting ability.
- The ability to be a good listener, and to really understand a customer problem or question and help them solve it.
- Excellent writing skills. Most of your work will be written (email, documentation, etc.).
- Excellent telephone mannerisms. Some support will be provided over the phone (via our VoIP system)
- 2-3 years previous experience in a technical support role
ACME Corp offers a competitive salary and a full list of benefits, including health, 401K, vision and dental coverage. You will work in a fun and creative environment with a talented group of individuals that have a passion for building great web sites.
We are open to local candidates only. Although you are welcome to work from home on occasion, you'll need to be in ACME Corp's office in downtown San Francisco on a regular basis.