Last Updated: 21 Nov 2020
Web Analytics, SEO & Marketing Interview Questions
Web Analytics / Google Analytics
- Explain the difference between a page view, visit, visitor & unique visitor. In GA, how long does a visitor have to be idle before they're counted as a second visit?
- Explain what a conversion rate is. Explain how a conversion path (a.k.a. conversion funnel) works.
- What do the five
utm_*variables do (and what are they?)
- What's the difference between exit rate and bounce rate?
- How is time on site calculated? What about for a bounce? Is TOS 0:00 or something else?
- What are some problems using Google Analytics to track mobile traffic?
Advertising/Adwords + Marketing
- Explain what CPM means? If I buy 100K visits at $10 CPM, how much did I pay?
- How about CPC? If I buy 100K visits at $1 CPC, how much did I pay?
- With CPC ads, how can a lower click through rate lead to a higher ROI?
- Is it good, bad or indifferent to pay for ads on terms that you already rank on for natural search?
- What is the Adwords Quality Score? What factors go into it? How can you improve it?
- Google is always adding new Adwords Extensions. What are some recent ones, and what do they do?
- How would you go about detecting fraud in Adwords?
- Explain how you'd do keyword research? Which tools would you use?
- What meta tags are important and what meta tags aren't?
- What's a
- What is one other way to prevent spiders from crawling your site besides using
- What tool(s) do you use to track your rankings?
- What does Google Webmaster Tools do?
- What are the most important on-page elements for SEO?
- Explain what a 'good' SEO site structure is?
rel=canonical? What about
rel=nofollow? Why would a site like wikipedia or craigslist want to use that?
Excel / Data Analysis
- What sort of tools do you use to analyze data?
- In Excel, what is a pivot table? (Possibly have the interviewee create one for you.
- What are some of the different types of graphs? (Possibly have the interviewee show you how to make changes on graphs)
- Have the interviewee provide you with a writing sample.