Last Updated: 21 Nov 2020
Best-of-Breed Web Development Tools
- For technical/database planning, I like MySQLWorkbench. It's finally fairly stable, and can export MySQL code directly.
Web Development Tools
- WYSIWYG Editor: Adobe Dreamweaver
- MySQL/PostgreSQL Admin: Navicat Lite - The latest version integrates MySQL and PostgreSQL management into one app. The Lite Version is free for non-commercial use. Also, PgAdmin is a free, powerful PostgreSQL administration tool. SequelPro is a new MySQL admin tool based off the excellent CocoaMySQL.
- Firefox Add-Ons:
- IE Add-Ons:
- Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar - Perhaps best called a poor imitation of FireBug, but still useful for debugging in IE
- Safari Add-Ons:
- Web Inspector Tool: Not an add-on per se, but still a useful Firebug-like tool to enable.
- Broken Link Checker: Integrity is a free, fast broken link checker.
- Analytics/Traffic Reporting: Google Analytics - Google Analytics is hands down the best free website analytics package out there.
- Share System: ShareThis - great tool for sharing pages via email, with Digg, etc.
- Video Player: FlowPlayer is the way to go. Both free and paid versions.
- The jQuery Tools Package is fantastic…Tabs, Tooltips, Overlay, Expose, Scrollable & FlashEmbed. It's stable, well documented and well supported by the community. Great, flexible APIs too.
- Accordian: Jquery's built-in
accordian()function is pretty good.
- Cookie: The standard cookie plugin is as decent as any.
- Caching Layer: memcached